PHOTOGRAPHS - SPURS HISTORY
This section will be used to display historic photographs of Tottenham Hotspur
Article published in the 'Daily Mail' on Saturday21st January 2006 which features the famous Spurs cockerel being reinstalled on the Stand back in 1934
|Danny Blanchflower holding both the F.A Cup and the League Championship Cup in Spurs 'Double' season in may 1961 - Pictured at Tottenham Town hall.|
Historic League & Cup Double Winning Team 1961
Back Row: Bill Brown- Peter Baker - Ron Henry - Manager: Bill Nicholson - Danny Blanchflower - Maurice Norman - Dave Mackay
Front Row: Cliff Jones - John White - Bobby Smith - Les Allen - Terry Dyson
|Spurs F. A Cup and Double Winnerrs - Pitchside celebrations May 1961|
|Crowds assembled outside the Tottenham 'Royal' at Spurs parade the trophies following their historic League & Cup Double win in May 1961|
|A very rare colour photograph taken by one of our regular contacts of the crowds assembled outside the Tottenham' Royal' in 1961|
|Crowds lining the street along Tottenham High Road in 1961 waiting for the triumphant SPURS to parade their Trophy's in their Double winning year.|
with the SPURS players parading their 'Double' winning Trophy's in 1961. This
picture was taken as the bus passed along Fore Street Edmonton.
The lower picture shows the bus proceeding along Tottenham High Road having just passed the Spurs Ground.
|The European Cup-Winners Cup being paraded by the players outside the Spurs ground in 1963. This followed their historic 5 -1 win over Atletico Madrid in Rotterdam.|
|The victorious Spurs Team parading the F.A Cup along Tottenham High Road in May 1991.|
|This an extract from the North London Journal that announced the opening of the 'Bill Nicholson Pub' in Park Lane Tottenham. Pictured on the front page is the legendary Dave Mackay who was undoubtedly one of Bill Nicholson's finest players|
SPURS supporters will remember the Public House of the same name that once stood along the
Roundway in Tottenham close to its junction with Lordship Lane.
This is a photograph of the wonderful Pub Sign that once stood outside.
wonderful old photograph taken of the SPURS ground back in the 1920's.
Note the houses still standing along Paxton Road and Worcester Avenue long before the building of today's stands.
We have since added another photograph from the
'English Heritage - Bitain from Above' website taken in 1923
|I had the good fortune to take a helicopter trip over the historic 'White Hart Lane' ground. With plans already in place to replace this with a new state-of-the-art stadium it will serve as a lasting memory of the wonderful games played here over the last century.|
|This old photograph dates from 1883 before the current stadium was built. The Red House still stands at the entrance to the ground today. Just beyond the Red House is the entrance to what was White Hart Yard and the Nurseries beyond where the football ground was later to be constructed.|
photograph dates from 1965 and was taken at almost the same location as above. The
building to the right is the 'Tottenham & Edmonton Dispensary' which dates from 1864
and also precedes the building of the Spurs stadium.
Bill Nicholson pictures seated at his desk in the Red House offices.
|This is yet another photograph dating from 1978 showing the Red House and the front entrance to the stadium|
a wonderful old photograph that shows "The Chocolate Factory"
at what is now known as 'The Red House' - See picture above. By the appearance of the
motor van it would suggest a date from circa 1920
The original copy of this postcard was sold on an auction Website for a sum believed to be approaching £500. This was the description for the sale:
RP POSTCARD. CHOCOLATE FACTORY, 748,HIGH ROAD,
748, High Road, Tottenham, Gt. London'. Also a company motor van standing in front. In the square at the top of the building is 'REDHOUSE HOTEL'. The building is still standing on the corner of Bill Nicholson Way. Photography by A.E.Brown, 100,High Road, Tottenham. Postcard is in good condition. Postally unused.
|The historic 'Spurs Clock' that stood for many years above the old 'Red House' building fronting the Spurs Stadium on Bill Nicholson Way|
Yet another historic 'Spurs Clock' that is displayed in the wonderful 'Bruce Castle Museum. in Tottenham.
The clock was presented to 'The Spurs' by local businessman
W. S Mudge in 1968 but dates back to circa 1840
|This photograph dates from the 1920's and once again shows the Red House pictured to the right. As mentioned above the front entrance had previously been know as White Hart Yard.|
|This is a more recent photograph and the entrance has now been renamed 'Bill Nicholson Way' in memory of the former manager from the club's 'Glory Glory' days.|
|This is a copy of the architects drawing when plans were made to develop the stadium in 1934. This remains largely the footprint of today's stadium.|
two photographs show the demolition of houses in Paxton Road prior to the construction of
the new East Stand in 1934.
Editors Note: I have discovered from the 1911 Census that my grandfathers family were living at 37 Paxton Road at that time. It is possible that the houses being demolished could well have been his former home.
|This was the new East Stand being constructed in 1934. The East Stand today is essentially the same construction although modified a few times over the intervening years.|
|Spurs in action during home match at White Hart Lane 1938|
|This old photograph that appears to date back to the 1920's shows the front entrance to the Spurs ground on the left (now Bill Nicholson Way) and opposite the church of St Francis De Sales on the corner of Brereton Road.|
fine old photograph that should be recognised by any Spurs fans walking to the match from
the direction of the Edmonton boundary.
The photographs shows Tottenham High Road leading south towards the Spurs ground. On the left is the junction of Northumberland Park Road and on the right the former offices of the 'Tottenham & Edmonton Herald' that occupied this site for many years.
Once again the photograph appears to date from perhaps the early 1920's. In the background, but not very clear in this reduced size of picture, is an old tram alongside a horse-drawn cart.
|An old postcard dating back to the early 1900's. Park Lane can be seen on the right just beyond the lamp post. The shutters would be where the Spurs Megastore stand s today.|
another old postcard from the same era. To the left is Church Road and again Park Lane is
on the right and the awnings is where the megastore is today. A few more people in this
image. Perhaps it was a match day !
You can also just make out the Red House and Dispensary buildings at the entrance to the ground in the background.
|Some lovely old photographs taken outside the Spurs Ground for a home match against Queens Park Rangers in 1948. It's wonderful to see the lines of old trolleybuses and how orderly the queues were formed. A stark contrast to today when most supporters use the Rail and Underground links and use their own vehicles to travel to the match.|
arrival of Ricky Villa and Ossie Ardiles at Spurs in 1978. The signing of the Argentinean
duo by Keith Burkinshaw was arguably the most sensational transfer coup of all time. It
was at a time when virtually no foreigners played in the Football League, though no one
who saw Argentina win the World Cup just a month before and were impressed by the skills
of a Ardiles & Villa, could possibly have imagined they were soon to become legendary
Ricky Villa and Ossie Ardiles study the 'Tottenham Weekly Herald' which is reporting on their recent signing
Team boarding Coach outside White Hart Lane in 1960s.
Pictured from top:
Ron Henry - Frank Saul ?
Dave Mackay - John White - Bobby Smith - Bill Nicholson
entrance to the Spurs ground for the F.A Cup replay against Cardiff City in 1922. Regular
fans will note from the buildings that very little has changed at the Main Entrance since
Photograph: Courtesy of Getty Images
|Another view of the main entrance taken in November 1969 following the postponement of the match against Everton|
wonderful Cliff Jones scoring his very last goal at White Hart Lane against Manchester
United on the 9th Oct 1968 when the result was a 2-2 draw.
Cliff Jones served for 10 years at White Hart Lane from 1958-1968 and in that time he scored 159 goals in 378 appearances.
To this day he is still the 4th all time scorer for Spurs a wonderful achievement for such a slight man who was a winger and not not a striker. He was surpassed only by Jimmy Greaves (266) Bobby Smith (208) and Martin Chivers (174 goals)
This photograph is very special since he signed this copy to me personally.
The bottom photograph show Cliff making his debut for Spurs
|This old map of Tottenham dates from approx.1900 which closely coincides with the move of the ground from Northumberland Park to its present position in Tottenham High Road. In fact you will note that the open land north of Park Lane still shows the nurseries that once occupied the site.|
|Another early map showing the location of the SPURS ground in Tottenham High Road. Note that Worcester Avenue on the East side of the ground has not yet been built and Paxton Road extends around the ground with houses also backing on to the ground.|
|A panoramic View of the Spurs stadium as it appears today|
|Another Panoramic view taken during match April 2012|
|Another wonderful Panoramic view taken on a Champions League night/|
|Artists impressions of the planned new stadium for Spurs. Demolition of many of the old properties surrounding the existing stadium has now been completed and hopefully development of the new stadium will commence soon - September 2012|
HOTSPUR was a warship adopted by the people of Tottenham as part of the war
effort. The Tottenham War savings launched their appeal to raise funds during the national
warship week in March 1942. The ships crew came to visit Tottenham in 1943. The £700,000
bill to pay for the ship was paid off by 1948
The Ships bell and other memorabilia is on display at Bruce Castle Museum, Tottenham.
||HMS HOTSPUR was one of eight destroyers of the 'H' class and was the fifth ship to bear the name. She had a very distinguished service during WW2 and was involved in a number of crucial battles including the attack on the German-held Norwegian port of Narvik in 1940 where she was badly damaged and had to cripple back to a safe port. She was also involved in escort duties for many of the larger vessels of the British fleet that included the defence of Malta.|
|HOTSPUR steamroller that was manufactured by 'Wallis & Steevens' of Basingstoke between the wars. She was on display at a transport festival and it was also pleasing to see the plate 'DVANCE'located on her side. It was just a pity that the two nameplates were in Red/White.|
|The original Spurs cockerel that today has pride of place in the front entrance to the Spurs stadium|
|An old 'Tottenham Hotspur' football.. Note the old 'T' panels and the laces to protect the bladder inside. These ball used to be like puddings once wet and did it hurt when you headed the ball against the laces.|
|Classic White Hart Lane road sign|
|An amusing birthday card that I received many years ago, showing Steve Perryman - Cyril Knowles - Phil Beal and Roger Morgan in an uncomfortable position.|
|A wonderful photograph that shows the re-building of the Spurs West Stand taken in early 1981. It is poignant that hopefully we should soon be witnessing the demolition of the West Stand again to make way for the new stadium development|
photograph showing the demolition of the West Stand in early 1981. To the left of the
stand is Park Lane with Tottenham High Road in the mid-foreground.
The final photograph that shows the Paxton Road end of the old West Stand showing the re-building in 1981. To the right of the photograph is the former Gymnasium and training facilty Tottenham High Road in the background.
We acknowledge the receipt of these photographs from Alan Robinson a devoted and loyal Spurs fan for over 60 years.
The commemorative plaque in memory of the late great John White who was sadly struck by lightning while playing Golf at Crews Hill Golf Club in Enfield in 1964.
|An extract from the Radio Times in 1967 showing the programme of events for the F.A Cup final against Chelsea.|
|The premises of Dave Mackay's. Tie Shop that was once situated on the corner of Seven Sisters Road and Westerfield Road.|
|A team photograph of the all conquering Spurs 'Push and Run' side from the 1951 season.|
|A team photograph showing the Spurs in 1885 when the team were still playing at the Tottenham Marshes ground.|
|A team photograph showing the Spurs in the 1907-08 season. The team had now moved to their existing White Hart Lane ground.|
are advertisements for the 'Hotspur' brand of football boots that were
very popular in the pre-war years. The boots were sold by the local shoe shop chain
of 'Myall's' who had premises in West Green Road and Tottenham High Road close to the
For more information on the Myall's shoe shops in Tottenham please refer to the Tottenham History Snippets section where you will find a feature article.
|The Cafe Royal London July 1961 when Spurs stars John White, Danny Blanchflower and Cliff Jones celebrated their historic 'Double' success.|
Clark Tottenham born and devoted Spurs fan pictured at White Hart lane in the 1960's.
Dave Clark's music publishing company was known as 'Spurs Music'
|Legendary 1950's Film Actress Jayne Mansfield making an appearance in the Directors Box. Spurs v Wolves October 1959|
|Spurs legend Jimmy Greaves pictured outside Spurs stadium entrance 1960's|
|HRH 'Prince of Wales' kicking off in match played against Fulham at Sandhurst 1921|
||The victorious Spurs team being presented with the FA Cup by King George V - April 1921|
German Swastika flying at half-mast at White Hart Lane in December 1935 during a match
between England v Germany..
The flag was flying at half-mast as a mark of respect to the late Princess Victoria.
|The Spurs mascot attempting to clear the pitch of snow during the very harsh winter in 1963.|
police had difficulty in braving the cold during
the bad winter of 1963.
|Former front entrance to White Hart Lane 1960's|
|The Spurs team boarding a coach outside White Hart Lane in 1966|
|Tottenham Hotspur Team - 1897|
|The railway engine 'Tottenham Hotspur' being viewed by loyal fans. The 'Football Class' B17 locomotives were designed by Sir Nigel Gresley who is more famous for designing both 'Flying Scotsman' and 'Mallard' but a fine pedigree nonetheless.|
This is the original nameplate from the Locomotive
that survives today at the Spurs training ground.
Permission has been given by THFC to reproduce this photograph.
LEGEND - DAVE MACKAY (1934-2015)
Sadly Dave Mackay passed away 2nd March 2015 aged 80 years.
His former team mate Cliff Jones read a Eulogy at his funeral and here is a very small extract from his speech:
Dave has been described as a hard man, which he was, but he was also a naturally gifted footballer with a lot of skill. During the early 1960s Spurs were THE team and in 1963 became the first British side to win a European trophy. The year ended badly for Dave as he suffered a broken leg. He recovered only to break it again nine months later. That might have been the end for most players but Dave, showing his grit and determination, recovered full fitness and in 1967 captained Spurs to win the FA Cup against Chelsea.
In 1968, after nine years at Tottenham, Dave left the club and signed for Derby County, managed then by the enigmatic Brian Clough. Together they won the Second Division championship and Dave was voted player of the year by the Football Writers Association. Clough, like Bill Nick, recognised was Dave could bring to a team and always stated that Dave was his best-ever signing.
wonderful collage of Spurs legends most of whom you will redily recognise..
Added: March 2016
collection of cigarette cards that show members of the Spurs team from the
Added: March 2016
photograph of the triumphant Spurs team who won the F.A Cup in 1921.
Added: March 2016
great photograph taken of the Front Entrance to White Hart Lane in April
1962 when Spurs played their classic match against Benfica in the European
Added: March 2016
lovely photograph showing a wintry scene of the East Stand in Worcester
Added: March 2016
|A lasting instruction for all true Spurs fans !|
Updated December 2010
Updated September 2012
Updated February 2013
Updated November 2013
Updated January 2014 - Spurs Clock Bruce Castle Museum & Aerial photograph from 1923
Updated November 2014 - Dave Mackay's Shop- Rebuilding West Stand in 1970s- Radio Times in 1967, Hotspur Boots- Team photos 1885, 1907 and 1951
Updated May 2014 - Spurs Legends Dave Mackay & Jimmy Greaves- Swastika above WHL - Steam engine Tottenham Hotspur - Spurs Winter 1963
Dave Clark - Jayne Mansfield at stadium.
Updated March 2016- Spurs Lgends Collage - Spurs Cigarett catrds 1907 - Spurs Front Entrance 1962- Spurs Team 1921 - Winter Scene East Stand
Inserted New Photograph of Cliff Jones debut match - Trolleybus scene HighRoad 1948 (Star Furnishing)
Updated May 2016 - HMS Hotspur destroyer - Hotspur Steamroller and name plate from 'Tottenham Hotspur' locomotive.