Tottenham Hotspur Foundationn - Percy House

 


PERCY HOUSE - HOME TO THE TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR FOUNDATION

 

INTRODUCTION:
Percy House is an historic Georgian building which was built in the mid-18th Century. It is situated in Tottenham High Road, close to its junction with White Hart Lane, and now stands in the shadows of the majestic new Spurs stadium.

Following an extensive restoration project, the building is the new home to ‘The Tottenham Hotspur Foundation’. The restoration project has taken several years and has been conducted in a most thorough and sensitive way. It has been sympathetic throughout to both the original style and historic content of the building.

The Tottenham Hotspur Foundation has been established for many years and works in partnership with the local community to provide both vocational training and job opportunities with local employers.

Another aspect of the Foundation’s work is to help ensure we do not lose touch with the rich local history of Tottenham. With this in mind they have appointed new Heritage Ambassadors that will draw upon the knowledge of local historians and businesses and will also support talks and presentations to local schools and community organisations.

 

A COLLECTION OF EARLY PHOTOGRAPHS OF PERCY HOUSE

PERCY HOUSE – 796 HIGH ROAD  EARLY 20th CENTURY

 


PERCY HOUSE c 1949

PERCY HOUSE C 1950s

 

PERCY HOUSE DURING THE RESTORATION PROJECT

 

VISIT TO PERCY HOUSE:
I had the good fortune to receive an invitation to visit Percy House in July 2018 when we received a splendid presentation on the buildings history and the restoration project. We were kindly permitted to take some photographs during our visit and here are just a few that were taken on the day.




STAIRCASE


ONE OF MANY MEETING ROOMS


ORIGINAL FIREPLACE LOVINGLY RESTORED


INTERIOR CORRIDOR

CUPBOARD CONTAINING ARTEFACTS

PICTURED AT FRONT ENTRANCE


PICTURED ALONGSIDE HISTORIC GATES

 



PERCY HOUSE - EXTERIOR


PANORAMA – PERCY HOUSE IN FOREGROUND – NEW STADIUM TOWERING ABOVE

 

POSTSCRIPT: Percy House was once occupied by James Smithson (1765-1829) the illegitimate son of Sir Hugh Percy – First Duke of Northumberland. On his death in 1829 he bequeathed his entire wealth to create the now world famous ‘Smithsonian Institution’ in Washington D.C USA.
For more information on James Smithson please refer to our Tottenham History Snippets section that can be accessed from the 'Nostalgia Corner Menu' link below.

 

Article prepared by Alan Swain July 2018

We acknowledge the help of Joanna Yeung, Heritage Project Manager, Tottenham Hotspur Foundation for arranging our visit.

Photographs Courtesy of Kim Noden Harmel and Bruce Castle Museum Tottenham

Background Image - Percy House Illustration -Tottenham Hotspur Foundation