TN00561_.wmf (13094 bytes)



During our research on 'Horseshoe' Coaches a surprising fact emerged and that is they were not the first Coach company to operate from premises in Summerhill Road.  Many will also remember the name 'Viney's' who we now find were also involved with transport in Tottenham for over half a century and once operated from an address at number 32 Summerhill Road. This information was reported in a book titled ' London Buses - Volume One, The Independent Era 1922-1934' by Blacker,Lunn and Westgate and published in 1977 by H.J Publications. This give details of early bus operations by the Viney Family and their associations with 32 Summerhill Road. Once again we are indebted to Mervyn Askew from Willington in Bedfordshire for providing us with this information.

It is suggested that the name Viney was once as synonymous locally with transport as Tottenham is with Hotspur. The founder of the business was H.B Viney but in the early years of the last century affairs were in the capable hands of his son, Henry Francis Viney, a shrewd businessman who ran the family haulage and furniture removal business in Tottenham. It was in 1919 that Viney's first entered into the passenger bus business with the purchase of some five or six Tylor-engined AEC chassis which were mostly surplus War Department vehicles upon which charabanc bodies were then mounted. The livery was a brownish red with a crimson band along the top of the body lined in gold.

vineys_coaches_summerhill_advert.jpg (51524 bytes)

Advertisement - Vineys Coaches - Tottenham Herald

Viney's vehicles were for many years housed in the railway arches at 30 Markfield Road, South Tottenham but were further augmented during World War One when Viney acquired a large house at 32 Summerhill Road, Tottenham, which he made his home and also used as an office. Next to the house there was a covered yard where vehicles could be housed under a corrugated iron roof, and at the rear stood a two-storey workshop. Apart from the charabancs, motor landaulettes were kept for hiring out and the haulage department consisted by now of petrol, steam and horse drawn vehicles of many sizes.

Vineys_charabanc1924.jpg (49232 bytes)

Vineys Charabanc 1924 - Taking workers on annual 'Beano' to Clacton-on-Sea

Early bus operations in London were a combination of the 'London General Omnibus Company' and a large number of independent operators (well over 200 of them) who ran scheduled services on approved routes. The London General Omnibus Company aimed for a monopoly of services and considered the small private operators as the 'Pirates'. The independent's remained an active force until compulsorily being absorbed into the London Passenger Transport Board in 1933/4.

From the early days of Viney's operations, the fleetname  chosen was 'Tottenham Hotspur' and in 1923 the bus fleet, which totalled five at it's maximum, perpetuated the name 'Tottenham Hotspur' which was applied in a variety of styles, perhaps at the whim of the signwriter. The vehicles were basically red in colour, with window frames which varied from time to time between grey and brick yellow. The buses however were largely housed with the haulage fleet at Markfield Road.

The 'Tottenham Hotspur' story finishes on a sad note. In July 1925, when the ill health of H.F Viney saw a progressive decline in business, and it resulted in the sale of the Bus business in January 1926 to the Ward Brothers and Punnett who already owned two buses.  In order to make the change of ownership possible, the 'Tottenham Hotspur Omnibus Co Ltd' was formed on Dec 7th 1925 with its registered office at 1 Wards Terrace, Broad lane Tottenham. In December 1925 H.F Viney moved to Hoddesden and in February 1926 the Summerhill Road premises were put up for sale by auction. Sadly H.F Viney died in March 1926 at the age of 53. The haulage business was wound up but his son Bertie Charles Viney carried on in Coaching.

vineys_charabanc.jpg (55274 bytes)

Charabanc operated by Bertie Viney - Showing 'Summerhill Road' address on the coachwork

Bertie made one further brief excursion into the bus business in October 1926. Following the purchase of a new bus, he obtained possession of the Summerhill Road yard again, which had formerly been owned by his father, and the bus was garaged there. However, this second enterprise was short lived and was wound-up in May 1927.

In June 1948 the business was reconstituted as Viney's Motor Coaches Ltd. Bertie Viney himself left the business in 1952 and his fellow directors, who were all members of the Viney family, disposed of the business to George Ewer & Co Ltd ( Grey-Green Coaches) on 26th October 1964.

back_button.jpg (3190 bytes)